Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Why I Blog-Up to 5 Reasons


While mentally composing my next blog (teaser: it deals with why Christians still need the Gospel, and what it means that we are not perfect as some suppose we think), I thought, "wouldn't it be cool to tell folks why I blog in the first place?"  So here I am, writing a brief summary in much the same way I'd like some of my favorite bloggers to, about why I blog.  As you notice from the title, it will be "up to" 5 reasons I blog.  It actually might turn out to be only 2 or 3, as I am typing this as I do most of my other blogs; namely, from my mind to the computer.  Therefore, I haven't counted the reasons yet, though I will intentionally not exceed five for pseudo-brevity's sake.  So, on to the main event:  Up to 5 Reasons why I Blog: (In no particular order)

1.  Because I love to restate what I am learning- One opportunity that blogging gives me is to yap to myself (and you few readers) about what I'm learning in life through Scripture, experience, and otherwise.  It also helps to solidify that learning.  After all, how can I forget what I was meditating on in Proverbs when I can go right here and find it?  By writing, I am able to make concrete concepts that I learned that might be less cohesive if not put on paper (e-paper, that is).  

2.  Because as I seek to improve my writing, my thinking improves- I believe this one is self-explanatory, but just in case, I'll explain.  Although, I'm a thinkaholic, I've not always thought for the sake of writing.  In other words, I have always thought all the time, though for myself only.  That means that my thoughts had no reason to be organized just so, or even clear enough for anyone to understand but me.  As long as I could convey those thoughts verbally, I was OK.  With blogging, however, I have been forced to take the thoughts I have normally, and organize them in such a way as to express them clearly to a reader rather than a listener.  That continues to challenge me in ways that have served to improve my thinking.  Now when I have a barrage of thoughts about a particular topic, I think "how would I express that in my blog."  This is a vast (and welcome) improvement over thinking with no end in mind.  This blog has become an end to the means that are my thoughts.  If this doesn't make sense, it's proof that my thinking has more improvement remaining, and that encourages me :)

3. Because my blog is another accountability partner- For better or for worse, I'll be heading to the gym in a half-hour primarily because my Lord was gracious.  He dealt with me through His Word about some of my misconceptions and self-deception about the temple He gave me.  He allowed me to see in His Word the importance of glorifying Him with my Body; that I am bought with a price and do not belong to myself.  A secondary motivation is because I wrote 2 blogs about it called "My Belly's Conscience," parts 1 and 2.  How can I stop when I made the commitment before all 3 of my readers to get in shape?  See how that works?  My wife is my primary human accountability, and I love her for being so amazing. Then the brothers I fellowship with are great accountability partners.  Let's face it though, they all love me unconditionally, and if I did fail would encourage me and help me to seek God's grace in getting back on the right track.  I know at least a couple of you though, (my readers) who would say, "awwww, I knew you wouldn't make it."  That is a different kind of accountability, yet I find it extremely motivating.  Who says there's no place in life for the naysayer?  Without them, we probably wouldn't even have airplanes......

4.  Because I am unable not to give what I receive- This reason is really related to the first.  I mentioned my love for restating what I learn, but I really mean I can't not teach.  I have tried so many times to just have normal conversations about what I'm learning or have learned.  Epic failure:  No matter what, I always wind up teaching.  I believe the Lord has called me to it. I am so under prepared for it though; both from a knowledge perspective, and skill perspective.  I don't deny the gift the Lord has given me, but it still needs sharpening and honing.  That's what my local Body is for, and it's functioning well to equip me.  Blogging, however, has added a new dimension of preparation.  Namely, consistency in getting thoughts from my head to an audience with clarity.   My prayer is that the more I blog, the sharper my focus and clearer my thinking.  I believe this will be evidenced, in part, by my ability to say more with fewer words.  Abraham Piper (yes, John's son) has a blog called 22 Words that I love because every post is exactly 22 words! How's that for brevity?  That must take a lot of thought, and I'm sure it has trained him to express himself more skillfully and succinctly.  That's my prayer for myself.  That the Lord would use this blog to reach the lost (as the Gospel WILL be preached here), and to Glorify Himself, and to help prepare me for the mission He's given me.  Who knows, one day I might actually write less than 24000 words, and still get to my point.  That would be the Grace of God at work :) 

That's all for now, so it's 4 and not 5 reasons.  Well I said "up to 5" anyway.  These are some of my reasons; I likely have 20 or better in fact.  Some may see these reasons as not worthy or even as silly or trivial.  You are more than welcome to that opinion.  If you are a believer, please pray that if the Lord is pleased to, He'll use this outlet as a sharpening tool to me, an evangelistic tool to the loss, and at the very least, an entertainment tool to you the reader.  
Grace and Peace

PS, If you are a blogger (or not), and have constructive criticism on how I can improve, please comment to that effect.  I welcome suggestions for improvement and would love to hear from you.  Thanks in advance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.