Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Glory of God and "Thank You."

1Co 4:7 For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it?

Actually, Paul asked the above questions to the Corinthians rhetorically. Surely anyone in their right minds would realize that all that we have we have received, ie been given, right? I mean, who would actually boast in say, a talent that he/she had not created within themselves? Who would actually think to take credit for some great idea that lead to financial well-being in this life? Surely, none of us have ever been in a position to give God glory, yet have failed to do so, eh? Negative, my friends. The fact is, during the course of our-one moment, let me switch points-of-view in order that I speak for myself-
The fact is, during the course of any given of my days, there are ample opportunities for me to ascribe Glory to whom it belongs. How often do I take credit given to me and actually redirect it to God, whose it is anyway? Is that actually what I'm doing when I respond to those who address me complimentarily? Someone says, innocently, "that was an extraodinary presentation," and I say, "thank you." In that situation, it seems relatively easy to justify my response. I mean, they just paid me a compliment, right? The proper response to that should be a hearty, genuine "thank you" right? Certainly, in the context of our society, that is the expectation and indeed shows appreciation for the compliment. What about in the context of Scripture, and God's point of view? Is saying "thank you" for a compliment robbing God of His glory? In light of the text above, is speaking of a talent or skill that one has (and has obviously received) boasting? Is there never a time when it's OK to say thank you to a compliment without mention of the Lord's grace in giving you whatever has been complimented? I ask this because I wonder what it looks like to reflect all Glory back unto the Lord. I've certainly been involved in conversations that went like this:
A: "You played an awesome game out there today! Great job!"
B: "Praise God, it was tough but we pulled it out."
In this scenario, it appeared that God was glorified (or at least recognized) as a result of a recognition of who ACTUALLY gave the ability. The question is, would it have been wrong for person B to respond, "thank you very much, I appreciate that"? This is what I'm pondering today; the glorification of our Lord in the mundane sphere of our response to compliment. What do you think? Is it OK just to thank someone without reference to the Lord?
I'd love to know your opinion. Grace and Peace.

No comments: