Friday, December 26, 2008

Friday with Spurgeon: Reflections from the book "Spurgeon Gold"

I have decided that I would borrow an idea from my brother over at Pyromaniacs (www.teampyro.blogspot.com), and publish something of Spurgeon weekly.  I didn't actually think to do this as a result of reading Pyro, but after being given "Spurgeon Gold" by my 12-year old for Christmas.  As I read the first entry from the book, I thought "this would be great to share with people."  I then followed that thought to its logical end and here we are.  Many of you are familiar with Charles Haddon Spurgeon and know of God's using this man in a major way during his lifetime.  One of my favorite Christian MC's, shai linne, wrote a song that gives a brief synopsis of the life of the "Prince of Preachers."  Hear that here .   Anyway, this is now what you can expect to see on Streams of Thought each Friday; an entry from Spurgeon Gold.  Well, at least till that particular book is exhausted.  I'm thinking to make at least 2 theme days per week.  Maybe one day, I'll feature poetry or something like that. Actually, feel free to suggest what you might like to see sometime, and I'll definitely consider it.  Meanwhile,  enjoy the first entry from Spurgeon Gold:

Some People's Eyes
I shall never forget one summer afternoon, when I was preaching in a village chapel about the joys of Heaven, that an elderly lady sitting on my right kept looking to me with intense delight.  Some people's eyes greatly help the preacher.  A telegraph goes on between us.  She seemed to say to me, "Bless God for that.  How I am enjoying it!"  She kept  drinking in the truth, and I poured out more and more precious things about the eternal kingdom and the sight of the Well Beloved, till I saw what I thought was a strange light pass over her face.  I went on, and those eyes were still fixed on me.  She sat still as a marble figure, and I stopped and said, "Friends, I think that yon sister over there is dead."  They said that it was even so, and they bore her away.  She had gone.  While I was telling of Heaven, she had gone there; and I remember saying that I wished that it had been my case as well hers.  It was better not, perhaps, for many reasons; but oh, I did envy her!  I am always looking for the day when I shall see her again.  I shall know those eyes, I am sure I shall.

My Short Reflection on this Entry:
Well, I just loved that story from the first time I read it (yesterday lol).  In terms of reflections I have two to mention.  First, the prospect of dying, and having family and friends to be confident that Heaven is my home.  In other words, confident that I am a true believer in the Savior, Jesus Christ.  That is something I have actually thought about on a number of occasions.  Paul, in 1 Thessalonians 4:13 says that we do not grieve as those who have no hope.  Of course, in the context of that passage, he was dealing with the misunderstandings of the Thessalonian Church around what happens to those who died as believers when Christ returns.  The key in that passage as it relates to my reflection is "died as believers" or as the passage says, "died in Christ."  The lady in Spurgeon's  account died, and it's apparent from reading the account that at least Spurgeon thought her to be a believer.  This lead to his excitement, joy, and understanding that he'd see her again.  This indeed is a different perspective than he would have had if she had been a known unbeliever.  My point is, I pray my life and the fruit the Lord chooses to bear in my life allow those in my life to mourn as if they mourn one "who died in Christ."  So like Spurgeon about this lady, my family can say, "he went there, and I'll see him again."  
My 2nd reflection on this piece is that Spurgeon was preaching on the joys of heaven.  I would just like to remind you that the Lord tells us in numerous places in Scripture that the hope of His coming is to be encouraging to us.  That the longing for our place in Heaven and among our brethren ought to motivate us to pure living.  The thought of being in the Lord's presence ought to be a "pick-me-up" for the believer.  Are you encouraged by the truth that our Lord is returning?  The thought that to  "live is Christ and to die is gain" is one that can become much clearer as we meditate on the "joys of heaven," and spend time reading God's word as it relates to us what it will be like.  New Heaven, New Earth, New Bodies, Presence of Sin GONE!!!! And most importantly, we'll see Him who was pierced FOR us Face to Face!!!!!!!!  Hallelujah!!  It's during those meditations that we cry out "MARANATHA!!!!"  Come quickly, Lord.

No comments: